Monday, April 22, 2013

WC Day 22: The Role TV Plays, & Other Stuff


I have a love-hate relationship with TV.

Typically, as soon as Michael leaves in the morning, it’s turned off and isn’t looked at again till evening. Whereas, when he is here, it has to be on all the time…..enough to make me crazy at times.

I honestly have too many other things on my mind most of the time to get the enjoyment, or escape, that TV could provide me. And clearly, I am not one of those people that works/thinks better when there is some kind of background noise going on. It’s one of the greatest hindrances to me writing more…..I need peace and quiet to think, and let’s face it, neither of those two things happen much around here.

This last week has only increased my love-hate relationship with it.

I am grateful for the chance to know what is happening elsewhere, and watched the tragedies in Boston and West unfold, feeling the heartache I know we all did.

At the same time, I was reminded how saturating it can be. We have this insane ability now to be a part of every second of what is going on. It sometimes feels like it’s too much.

It reminded me of last year, immediately following Michael’s accident. I found that I simply could not watch television, and didn’t watch a thing till we were well into rehab. The shows felt frivolous, and the news was often too heavy for me.

Our Houston trips are my other escape. For one week, every other month, I am disconnected from it all…..and I LOVE it. I cherish the time of just not knowing. With no TV readily available, it’s easy to make that escape. I am still connected enough, via FB, etc, that I am going to know if there is something big going on, but for a handful of days, I get to ignore the sometimes overwhelming stream of information coming in.

And I like it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Boston & West

Our hearts, thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected by these tragedies.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Writing Challenge FAIL

I could make a handful of excuses, all quite valid, but instead I am going to look at what this challenge has done. I am writing again, feeling it even, and that is ultimately what I was hoping this challenge would provide me. I should have known better than to think I would, or could, manage to write daily. There are just too many distractions around here…..very worthy distractions, mind you, but distractions nonetheless. I am happy to share that my last post was number 100, and that I am feeling like the writers block has lifted. Not to give up on this challenge altogether, I am going to try for the rest of the month to get my one post in a day, but that depends on my family cooperating….LOL.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Madison Update

I want to share more about how my girls healing is coming along, but it’s kind of interesting and deserves it’s own post, so for now, I  just wanted to share that she is doing well and we are pleased with how things are coming along.

Watch for a post in the coming days about how my girl has a little “piggy” in her now ;-)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...