Saturday, January 22, 2011

{We Can Make a Difference Weekends: Give Kids the World & The Power of 10}

Alliteration post number two!!  Because, as I have already shared, I apparently get a thrill from the repetition of the same sounds in my titles!!!  And again, LOVE ME!! LOL

How far this will go isn’t really clear, but for now it gives me some goals to work towards…..oh, and I have decided, since medical stuff is always going to be there, we will embrace it and have “Medical Monday’s” where I can share what’s going on medically over here.  I am sure medical will be thrown in at other times too, but like the idea of only needing to commit to it one day a week and leaving the others for (hopefully) more interesting posts.


The weekends though seem to be a really good time to share ways we can all make a difference for our community and friends, and at least in these early days, it will be the charities that mean so very much to our little family……the charities I can stand behind knowing they are making a difference.

I forget sometimes how much one person can do to make a difference (even if they are poor like me!!).  While some will be donation related, most if not ALL of the ones I will share are organizations that need people’s time, energy, connections, and skills…sometimes just as much as their money.  Many (if not all) have ways to get the kids involved too!!  It’s a “win-win” and I promise it will make you feel amazing to have had the chance to give back, or pay it forward, or just be involved.

I am inspired to do my little part here by another mom who has done something incredible (although that word is really not strong enough) to bring her blog community together to make a difference….in a bigger way than she could have imagined.

I started reading Kelle Hampton’s blog Enjoying the Small Things a little more than a month ago. I am consistently moved by her writing style, amazing photos, and her story, as much or more, than any other blog I have ever read.  Her life changed a year ago when her little one, Nella, was born with Down Syndrome.  She has chronicled the year since as she has grieved, come to terms with, and ultimately embraced this life she’s been given.  To celebrate her little one’s first birthday, she set up a fundraiser to support the National Down Syndrome Society and called it the ONEder Fund for Nella’s Rockstars.

On January 7th she shared that she was setting a “scary” goal to raise $15,000…..

as of today, January 22nd,
Nella’s first birthday,
her Rockstars have donated….
sit down for this…..

$92, 306.00

Ninety two THOUSAND dollars people!!!  ONE person…..ONE absolutely adorable little girl…..ONE blog did this….with the help of lots of amazing people who wanted to make a difference.  It’s incredible and I am speechless.  And more importantly, I am MOVED…..as I am sure you all are too.

So, without further ado, our “We Can Make a Difference” charity for this weekend….


As I shared in our Pay It Forward With Us page, Give Kids The World is special to our family.

I was excited to stumble across this information at ZannaLand|Finding Pixie Dust in the Everyday and wanted to share it with you all.  If you feel so compelled to donate, it would mean a lot to us.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...